He’s baaaack! Ok he’s been back but Tiger Woods reached one of the most pivotal points in his career on Sunday — tying the record for the most PGA TOUR wins of all-time.
Prior to yesterday’s ZOZO CHAMPIONSHIP, Sam Snead was the only player to ever reach 82 wins in a career.
History loves company, but Tiger does not. I wouldn’t be surprised if
sometime this season we see him break the record and stand alone, atop
of the all-time wins list.
That will be some incredible stuff to witness.
What’s even more incredible are the three wins that Tiger has notched since his latest comeback.
- Win No. 80: fans rushed the fairway to see him win for the first time since back fusion surgery at the TOUR Championship.
- #81: The Masters — need we say more?
- #82: Ties the all-time wins record, in the first ever PGA TOUR event in Japan, in his first start of the season, coming off knee surgery and a 9-week layoff.
What will he do next?!
Well, let me tell you in my Takeaways... But first watch my latest episode of the Good, Bad & Unusual…
Teryn’s Takeaways – The ZOZO CHAMPIONSHIP
Tiger Woods can’t stop, won’t stop
- We will see Tiger Woods get win No. 83 this season, no doubt.
- The guy got it done coming off knee surgery on a course he’s never played in the first ever event in Japan.
- What can’t he do?!
- Playing captain?
- With just one week remaining until the Presidents Cup Captain’s picks are announced, Tiger said in his post-win interview:
- “The player definitley got the captain’s attention.”
- In case you haven’t been following, he’s both. (Hopefully)
- Tiger Woods and Ernie Els are the U.S. and International Presidents Cup captains. Tiger did not make the team based on his ranking the past two seasons, but as the captain he does have the power to pick himself and all his players seem to want him to do so.
Are we talking about practice?!
- Tiger LOVES to practice and it’s been the pillar of his successful career.
- This week he said his knee surgery has freed him up almost completely.
- Now he can:
- Bend down to read putts
- Move around easily and pain free
- Take strain off his back because he can rotate through his knee
- And PRACTICE!
explained because his knee was restricting him last year, he wasn’t
able to stay sharp in his off-weeks. The rust was apparent to all of us
watching him last season.
- Now, he can get back to his old ways.
- This week’s wire-to-wire win already looked like the vintage Tiger we all know and love.
Japan LOVES golf (perhaps more than Tiger loves to practice)
- It was so cool to witness the success of the first official PGA TOUR event in golf-crazy Japan.
- Fans packed the course and it was incredible to see the sea of people on the broadcast.
Next on the tee: WGC- HSBC Champions
- This week marks the third and final stop of the Asia Swing
- It’s also the first World Golf Championship of the season.
- The top players in the world will tee it up in Shanghai for the World Golf Championships- HSBC Champions
Get my weekly Takeaways directly to your inbox!
Subscribe to my weekly newsletter